Date: Tuesday, February 26, 2019
To: Member School Principals, Athletic Administrators, Head Boys Basketball Coaches
From: Bobby Cox, Commissioner
Re: Sportsmanship Reminder
As we embark upon the 109th Annual IHSAA Boys’ Basketball Tournament, the Association wants to remind you of our expectations of exemplary sportsmanship.
The highest level of proper sportsmanship must be exhibited throughout the IHSAA Basketball Tournament Series.
We share a collective responsibility to serve as leaders and role models for our young people and ensure the most positive education based athletic experience is enjoyed by all stakeholders. The IHSAA staff encourages you to distribute our sportsmanship messaging on all publications, public announcements and disseminated to patrons upon entrance into your venue. You have been provided a document to be used on the back of your program which includes the following important sportsmanship requests:
Sportsmanship Expectations: We ask the following be reflected toward the competitors, the IHSAA assigned officials, coaches, tournament administrators, and spectators:
- Treat everyone with the utmost respect regardless of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
- Promote a welcoming environment by avoiding hostility toward opponents and their fans.
- Refrain from the use of profanity and vulgarities at all events.
- Respect all facilities and every person that contributes to the production of athletic contests by refraining from throwing objects onto the court and/or leaving objects in the stands.
- Create the loudest and most positive atmosphere possible when attending interscholastic events while maintaining full support for your school and their student athletes.
Please accept our sincere wishes for a successful and sportsmanlike tournament.